Monday, July 25, 2011

4th o' July

21 days late in posting this.  I could say that's how long it took me to recover from the 4th of July 4 miler.  But i'm not that big of a baby.  Honestly it was the most humid, miserable 4 miles of my life.  I tried to be awesome and "warm up" with Dave, jogging around the start to break a sweat.  And break a sweat I did. Everyone was drenched just from standing at the starting line, just waiting for the damn race to start. 

It was a nice, short, 2 mile loop out and back. The race itself was very well put together, organized, and they had lots of snacks and drinks at the finish.  Ok, i'm done being positive.  I never want to have to do anything like that race again.  They started us in "waves" a minute or so apart.  I was up in the first wave with Dave in the beginning, then I chicked out and went a few waves back.  Big mistake.  The first half mile or so was a narrow, paved trail that was virtually impossible to pass anyone on.  I was in a giant cluster of moms with strollers, kids in sketchers, and people like me who felt cool to be faster than other people but frustrated because we couldn't pass them (even though the people we were faster than were moms in strollers).

All in all, it was a wonderful way to start out our Independance Day celebration.  If you're into waking up at 4:30, sweating half your body weight, and wanting to pass out all before you've even had a chance to eat breakfast.  Oh, running, how I love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment